Wednesday, February 29, 2012

New Call

I start a new call/ job tomorrow. I will be what we in my tribe The Evengelical Church in America(ELCA) call, "an Intentional Interim pastor." What that means is, I will be helping a congregation through an intentional transition process towards calling a new perminate pastor. This process typically runs about 18 months in duration, but can be as early as a year and as long as 2 years or more. Alot depends on the circumstances of why the congregation is without its pastor.

I am coming into this congregation whose pastor has recently retired after 25 years of service. So... for them the interim period will mainly focus on how to transition to a different way of experiencing ministry. For some, it will mean how do I move on from the only pastor I've ever known. This will be the biggest challenge for the congregation.

For me... personally... I am thankful and grateful to have any position. This call/ job is a 3/4 time call... meaning I will be on the job, in a manner of speaking, 3-1/2 days + Sunday. Of course this will vary... pastors never really have so called set hours, after-all it is a 24-7 job in many respects.

Many of you know that I have been without a perminate call since last July. Many of you know my severance ran out in January. Many of you know that I've had to use retirement resources to get by. So... I'm grateful this opportunity comes along and provides adequete income and benifits. While it's not what I would like nor hoped for... it is a job.... God does provide! AMEN

More to follow as I reflect on the journey to what God is calling me to be about.

See You Out on the Road


















  

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear this news, Dennis. My 3/4 call begin last March and has been an incredible blessed experience. I pray this is true for you as well.

    ReplyDelete