Saturday, June 23, 2012

"I Don't Believe in Organized Religion"


I found Brian's insights to this nagging question to be very helpful. While I've been the reciepiant of statements like this, I must admit, a bit reluctantly, I've even made them at various times as well. Brian has leveled the ground with his article and it makes sense to use this insight when we hear it. check it out.

“I Don’t Believe in Organized Religion!” Huh?


And I heard the guy murmur…“I don’t believe in organized religion.”
Heard that? It’s not the first time. 1980’s, 1990’s 2000’s. Last week. Some might even say now it’s not just a Christian thing. The word is our Jewish and Muslim friends partake and are adding a few bricks to the wall! And it’s never ever a new comment and still when someone thinks I’m hearing it again for the first time, I get out my grumpy old man1 posture faster than Doc Holliday drew on Ike Clanton at the OK Corral. Is there a point? It’s not an OK or helpful statement and I think it gets said in an attempt to avoid talking about what now too many know too little about. Most folks want to have faith, but too few major in religion. After all, why would I want to talk ‘hockey’ with Wayne Gretzky or ‘home cookin’ with Paula Dean? Is it that I don’t believe in organized hockey or having a plan for home cooking? No, it’s just that I don’t have much to offer to either of those conversations, so avoiding one would serve me best.
Have you ever heard that same excuse…“I don’t believe in organized religion”? What did you say? How’d it go? Sadly, for me, it seems that I never really get to truly engage in the conversation as the comment is designed to end it before the talking gets started. But, someday I hope to and someday really want to because I do believe in organized religion and my reasons are both personal and professional. So, when I do, maybe, this is what some of that conversation can include…

continue at.... http://briangigee.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/i-dont-believe-in-organized-religion-huh/


No comments:

Post a Comment