Saturday, April 20, 2013

Moving On

I will be leaving my call as transitional pastor at Cross Lutheran on May 12. It will have been a year and two months that I helped them transition from a 25 year pastorate into calling someone new to lead them. 

It's been a good journey for me and for them. Cross... over-all is a healthy congregation and it has afforded me an opportunity to experience a congregation that seems to have a good grasp about what ministry is about. That being said however... they will have their challenges like all churches have, but if they can work with their new pastoral leader on creating a new vision and mission that enhances their values (which we worked long and hard on over the past year) they will be a growing and meaningful ministry in the future.

So... what does this mean for me? Well... I've made a decision to continue serving as a Transitional/ Interim pastor. I feel good about it and I believe God is calling me to be a leader in this type of pastoral ministry. I also believe as I've stated previously, I believe I'm well suited to serve in this capacity. I also believe it fits my personality best and serves me well with the skill sets I bring to pastoral leadership. I also think the variety of settings helps inspire me in sharing with congregations how God may be leading them into the future. Furthermore, I believe this to be a valuable asset for the church (ELCA) as most of the church needs to transition into being something different if the church is to continue into the future. All churches need new wineskins if they are to be effective in this new century.

So... where are you off too next... you ask? Starting June 1... I will be serving at St Paul Lutheran, Port Huron and helping them transition into new pastoral leadership. I don't know much about them as of yet other than to say they have had about a 15 year pastorate which is pretty long by many standards today. So the work will begin to transition towards calling a new pastoral leader. I hope they are open to working on this transition to learn about themselves as well as discerning their core values. It is work... and it takes time... a good year +... so I hope they are up to it and not just going through some motions to satisfy me or the synod in order to call someone else. This is really an opportunity for them to look at themselves and to look at how they might carry out ministry in the future.

It's important they take some time to reflect on what they've done, take stock of what is working, and to look towards the future. If they are willing to do this, they have a great opportunity to do meaningful ministry in the future. So... I hope they are open to the transition process. It will benefit them in the long run.

I'm excited to be working with another congregation to help them prepare for the future.

See You Out on the Road














1 comment:

  1. Dennis, So glad to hear you found a calling with interim work. Your latest blog about sharing Christ's love instead of "how are we going to survive" is right on the money. Thanks for the reminder!! Joyce Shorek

    ReplyDelete