Monday, October 14, 2013

“I sit here all day trying to persuade people to do the things they ought to have sense enough to do without my persuading them,” Harry Truman once lamented. “That’s all the powers of the President amount to.”

I now understand Mr. President why it is so challenging to be the pastor of a church. I have the same type of job as you. As a pastor, I have little to no power, just as you. As a pastor, there are at least 12 other people who make decisions... a sort of congress if you will, just as you. As a pastor, public (church members) opinion holds sway over nearly everything that happens or doesn't happen, just as you. And of course, if whatever happens turns out bad... the pastor just as the president gets the blame.

I really like this quote as it points out to a truth often learned the hard way. Pastors from all strips have the battle scars to prove it.

So... pastors... and others... let me know what you think. Does Harry Truman have it right?

See You Out on the Road




No comments:

Post a Comment