Thursday, March 1, 2012

New Call Part 2

As mentioned in my previous post, I started a new call/ job this week. This new position is called an "Intentional Interim" meaning that I will be helping a congregation transition towards calling a new perminate pastor leader. So... my time in this position is limited... probably about 18 months. That... for me is of concern.

For me, I dreamed of being a perminate full-time pastoral leader in a very open-minded, missionally focused, and creative congregation. I hoped my skills and passions would help grow a congregation in God's kingdom. Well... this hasn't happened and it has made me ever more cynical and critical of the church as a whole. While I'm grateful and thankful for the opportunity I've been given it feels different. I'm not sure why because the churches I've served have turned out to be short term calls... similar to that of an "Interim Pastor." So... it's really not much different when you think about.

Kathy, my wife, and I were talking the other day about this transitional call. She hopes I would have something more perminate as do I, but for different reasons. Me... I'm comfortable with change and excited about doing new things in new places. She related she really desires stability and sameness. She said, "my mom and dad lived in the same house all their married lives. Dad worked in the same job for the same employer. They never worried about having enough money. They never worried about having enough for retirement. I've been raised in that kind of environment and that's where I'm at." Well... life for us hasn't been like that for nearly 37 years and she has had to endure that anxiety in her life all because of me. And if you think about... our society is ever-changing at what seems alarming rates. This anxiety perhaps has contributed in part to some of her medical issues that she faces. 

This is why I hoped my ministry would have been different. I hoped we would have had longer term calls as to give her some of the stability she so eagerly desired. 

Next time I'll reflect on the challenges of being an interim pastor.

See You Out on the Road












No comments:

Post a Comment