Sunday, July 22, 2012

Transitions

The transition at ### Lutheran is about half way accomplished. We've had wonderfully attended history reviews and accessments. In fact, people have been earger to share their stories in an open and honest ways. These conversations have lasted longer than I expected, but this has been good. The way the people here have shared the good and bad is a good sign of a healthy congregation.

The leadership is working during the summer months on evaluating its current ministries, updating its membership records, evaluating facilities, and looking at stewarship strateges. So... much is going on behind the scenes. So... the transition has been going well thus far.

Beginning in September we will begin looking at what they value as a congregation. This is a very important part of the transition process. Values are the foundation of who they are. Values are the componants of what we most believe in. Values describe who we really are.

I will be really pushing the congregation about their values. I hope they will be honest with themselves about this this part of the process. We will be spending the better part of the next 5 months on values. I believe this is really about their future.

As for me... I am feeling pretty good about how things have gone. I've been able to maintain a professional distance if you will, meaning being engaged, yet not overally engaged. Some have declared that I should be their pastor of which I've said I can't.

So... I continue to think about the future of my call to the church. While not anxious about what comes next, my wife is. It's often difficult to see what comes next. This is not what I had hoped for or had planned for my call to the church. In some ways, It seems like a failure... my call. But this is probally something for another post.

So... it's been good so far and I can see God's hands guiding me and us along the way.

See You Out on the Road.












No comments:

Post a Comment