Saturday, November 9, 2013

Teenage Grand Children

Our daughter and her family were recently over for dinner, of which has been a quite while since the last time they came over. Since it had been a while Kathy decided to make it an entertaining evening by having all of us play the Wii game. So we ate dinner then relaxed and talked for a time, then fired up the Wii.

It turned out the grand kids didn't want to play. BIG SHOCK... after-all they are teenagers. Well... one of them is and technically the other is not quite there yet as she is 12, yet as many of us understand, going on 21.

While playing the Wii game... bowling... Kathy's favorite... the subject of going to the movies came up. Kathy had asked the grand kids if they would like to go see the new Hobbitt movie that is coming in December. It turns out they... the grand kids were invited by friends to go of which their parents weren't aware. It turns out... the grand daughters friend is a boy. This was news to their parents... my daughter and son-in-law, and I just began to chuckle out loud. In my mind the day had finally arrived when my adult child had to reconcile her children growing up... chuckle!!!

They began bantering back and forth about this boy.... the grand son just sat there minding his own business with a smirk, but the conversation wasn't over yet and he would be drawn in in the end. Chuckle.... Chuckle... as I sat and watched this play out. My daughter wasn't overly thrilled by my approach, but it was funny... no hilarious... nonetheless.

I had to take stock of this moment because we missed the baby years and most of the early years of our grand kids lives because they and we lived some 10-12 hours apart. We didn't get to love up on and spoil our grand kids like many get to do. They just simply lived to far away. So... we missed all those firsts that kids get to experience until the other night. So I laugh out loud... chuckled... and generally enjoyed the evening as I watched with glee.

As our grand kids continue to grow and mature it is interesting how as much as things change... they still remain the same. While we missed the early years of our grand children's lives, I am taking stock of the teenage years with a great big smile and remembering all those times I did those teenage antics as well as my daughters. It is these that are the cherished moments of life.

Oh yea... the son-in-law later said... daughter... your mother and I will be having a talk with you when we get home. :))


See You Out on the Road













No comments:

Post a Comment