Thursday, April 3, 2014

Making Change... Change of Heart



March 30, 2014                                                   
John 9:1-17

We’ve been talking about “Making Change” in our lives and in our community. This series is not so much about the physical or outward change we’re doing as much as it is about “Heart Change”. And… with heart change… the outward change becomes apparent and sustainable. Thus far… we’ve reflected on “Change of Season”… “Change of Habit”… last week… “Change of Circumstances”… and today…  “Change of Heart”

Prayer…

In our story today… and it’s a much larger story than we’ve read is about Jesus giving sight to a blind man... Of which he… the blind man… his parents, Jesus’ friends, and probably others think, the blind man or his parents have sinned. The context of this story is that Jesus is on the run. In the previous chapter Jesus is talking with some Jews and most likely Pharisee’s about Abraham and then makes the statement in Vs 58 that gets him almost killed.

Jesus says, “I tell you for certain that even before Abraham was, I was, and I AM.” then the people try to stone him and he ran off.”

So… here we find Jesus on the run and likely not in the mood to heal anyone as he is trying to get away. Yet… as they see this blind beggar along the road, his friends ask the question… “Teacher… why was this man born blind? Was it because he or his parents sinned?” As I mentioned… Jesus is on the run and not particularly interested in helping this guy… Yet… feels compelled to say and do something as I think he looks over his shoulder to see whose around… then says, “no neither sinned.”

I know it sounds strange to say Jesus isn’t interested in helping someone. But Jesus didn’t help everyone he encountered. Jesus didn’t physically heal everyone he saw. But in this story… Jesus has a change of heart and gives sight to this blind man. And… with this change of heart, Jesus changed every part of this man’s life.

If we look at this story closely… we would see it has nothing to do with whether or not this man or his parents sinned. But… that this is a story of a perceived problem this man has. Vs 8… this man’s neighbors know him and his problem all too well. You see…this blind man from birth is nothing more than a mooch… a beggar… a vagrant… thus he’s stigmatized because he’s unclean. According to Jewish society… he’s less than a person and rather easy to dismiss. I wonder how many times do you think about people like this and dismiss the beggars standing on some busy intersection holding a sign wanting money?

You see… it’s easy for us to look at others with their problems and say… she’s an alcoholic… he’s a drug addict… the kid with his pants half off as a drop out… she’s depressed… etc. All of these scenarios are for the other… But we often do this to ourselves as well. We often see ourselves as dropouts… disappointments… failures. We often see ourselves as problems, which limit us… and when invited to seek change, we often sabotage ourselves out of fear. This happens to us as the church as well. However… most of us have learned to cope with our limitations.

I remember years ago when life wasn’t so pleasant… I saw myself as a big loser with a BIG L on my forehead. Nothing was working… my life seemed doomed, then an invitation to look more closely to Jesus came. I chose to walk that path… more to the point… the Holy Spirit pushed me… to make a deeper commitment to following Jesus.

Then a strange thing happened… the people I hung out with saw it differently. I had had a change of heart. I no longer found the need to do the deviant things I was doing and no need to associate with the people I was associating with. I found acknowledging Jesus not only changed my heart and my life… but that acknowledging Jesus was simply too much for the people I was hanging out with.

The blind man in our story has a similar response, but from the Pharisee’s. Jesus illustrates this in a response from Mark’s gospel when he says, “The people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”

When Jesus invites a change of heart in our lives… life will change. We might need a big push…but life will change when our heart changes.

Now a WARNING… just because we have a change of heart, and Jesus comes into our lives… doesn’t mean life is going to be all hunky-dorie and great. There will still be struggle and challenges. I continue to be challenged in my faith walk. Wednesday evening Hannah shared that she struggles with faith and guess what… Hannah is only 16… Well Hannah… I’m 58 and I’m struggling at times too. Mr. Terry is 69 and he struggles… and Mr. Leo is 96… Mr. Leo do you struggle? YES!!!

And sometimes… I wonder if my change of heart is even worth it, even with the promises Jesus makes about having new life. You see… change is always a risk. However, I can tell you… and I suppose some of you out there can as well…even though there are challenges and doubts of faith at times… I can tell you… it’s worth it to continue the journey… because you do get life assuring glimpses of the new and abundant life Jesus offers.

For the man born blind that Jesus helps Vs 35-38 of the larger story are key despite the disruption of his life. These verses point to where change of heart really happens for the man and for us.

When Jesus heard what had happened, he went and found the man. Then Jesus asked, “Do you have faith in the Son of Man?” He replied, “Sir, if you will tell me who he is, I will put my faith in him.”  “You have already seen him,” Jesus answered, “and right now he is talking with you.” The man said, “Lord, I put my faith in you!” Then he worshiped Jesus. (John 9: 35-38 CEV)

For me my friends… this is the grace and love of God.
For me… this is where the blind man has the ultimate change of heart.
For me…. This is where God is revealed in Jesus and we too are able to “SEE” and make change in our lives. And indeed… have a Change of Heart.







No comments:

Post a Comment