Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Slowing Down

As mentioned in my last blog Kathy and I spent the New Years weekend at our daughters farm. They live amongst an Amish community and are friends with the couple of families that live next to them. This Amish group are a bit more progressive, but like most if not all Amish groups still work their fields with actual horse power. Yesterday while we were just lounging around the TV the Amish neighbor was spreading manure. Yes out in the cold terrible snow and wind. Yes... with 2 horses and this got me thinking of a couple of things.

First, while they often do some hypocritical things they still manage to do their work in a manner that is quite out dated. But I wonder if it really is. Yes, it is not very efficient use of time when there are very powerful tractors and could make sort order of the job. But what is time? It is a commodity for sure. But maybe the lesson is, that we "English" as they call us, need to slow down. I must admit that I've had to adjust a bit since being out of work. Some days I want to go, go, go, but there is nothing to go too. In some ways I've had to much time on my hands. The mind often wanders when you aren't doing much, and that can get you into trouble.

Nevertheless, maybe our society is moving to fast. Maybe we as a people need to take a lesson from the Amish and slow down. Maybe take some time to look at all that we do and make some adjustments. You know what I'm talking about... we have all been in predictmints when life seems out of control. So... take your time today... go a little slower.

The other observation that came to mind was the manure... yes the "MANURE" in the spreader. It reminded me of a story of a little boy digging in a big pile of manure, when his dad came up to him and asked why he was digging in the manure pile. The boy answered, "with all this manure here there must be a pony in there some where."

Lately...I'm wondering where my pony is because the manure pile has been pretty large. Maybe you are wondering too? Anyway, I'm still digging... maybe that's a good thing!!!


See You Out on the Road







  

No comments:

Post a Comment