Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What's Happening to Me?

I'm sitting at my kitchen table staring out the window (I'm now writing not staring) looking at the cold snowy landscape and I'm wondering "What's Happening" to me. I'm sitting here looking out the window... the mail lady came on time today... but today I'm still unemployed, feeling crappy (about myself... and I have a cold), and wondering why all this is happening to me at this point in my life. I feel it's getting pretty bad when the highlight of my day is waiting for the mail to come so that I have something to do.

I've spent alot of time over the past six months searching for a job, both online and talking to others to little fruition. I've had one interview just before Christmas and that's it. I placed some 60+ resumes out there and so... it's getting a bit disheartening. Although, I was humbled the other day when I was give a rather large amount of money. Thank You to whom ever you are... it is helpful and I'm blessed by your generosity. 

A week ago I was contacted by a recruiter/head hunter... that's not how I referred to them as. They however, understand themselves to be "Advanced Career Marketers"... at least that's how the person I talked to wanted to be known as. What they do is market you to the people who make the hiring decisions for-going the middle-man HR depts. So... for a fee (a few thousand dollars) they will coach you and get you interviews with prospective employers. They have a process to paying the fee upfront, then you get the opportunity to interview. I've often wondered how these agencies work and if it is a good way to go or are they just taking your money. This particular agency claims to help clergy folks transition from church work to secular business work... in other words from church work to a real job. Maybe you have some experience working with one of these types of agencies. If you have please contact me. I'd like your thoughts.

Needless to say, I will be supply pastoring for the next month... a good thing, and I'm glad for it. It is something not only to do, but more importantly a few bucks, and to keep my mind from wondering into places I'd rather not go. I'm already cynical enough and I'd like to keep looking at the glass as half full rather than half empty. However at the moment, as I look out the window the pity party feels pretty good.... wow is me :(

All this to say, What is Happening to Me? Perhaps... what is happening to us? I'm using the Revised Common Lectionary for my devo reflection (there is a good use for the lectionary after-all) and it helps me prepare for my Sunday pastor gigs because that's what's used where I'm serving. This week there are two call stories. One where God calls Jonah and in Mark's gospel where Jesus calls Andrew & Peter, and James & John, all who are fishermen, to "Come With Me" and they immediately leave to follow Jesus.

Jonah on the other hand refuses to go where God wants him to go... Nineveh. These are contrasting stories. Jonah doesn't want to go and runs in the opposite direction.... Jesus' friends leave everything immediately and go. For Jesus' friends, they go not knowing where they are going or what they will do... Jesus tells them they will fish for people... but what does that mean? They have no clue... they give up everything... home, job, income, family for something they know nothing about. In the end... Jonah experiences God's grace even though he didn't want to do what God wanted... in fact, Jonah gets quite angry with God because God changes his mind about punishing the Ninevehites... God forgives Jonah again. Of course we know the outcome for Jesus' friends, but the story ends with them following Jesus giving up all they knew.

So... what's happening to me? I don't know. In similar fashion I've left my comfort zone to follow Jesus into the unknown. Like Jonah, I'm really angry with God... I've gone to Nineveh and shared the Good News. I get beat up and God does nothing, but give grace.

See You Out on the Road








No comments:

Post a Comment