Friday, December 6, 2013

The Worlds Largest Christmas Store


I was at the world's largest Christmas store this afternoon and found it rather empty of people. Last year when I was there it was a zoo of wall to wall people and it was difficult to even navigate standing still. Today... while not the most pleasant experience it was nonetheless better than last year.

I say... not a pleasant experience because I don't like to shop. I know.... your thinking I'm a Grinch and a hum bug... I admit it... YES... I...
AM... But how many bulbs... ornaments... Santa's... did I say ornaments... can you look at? All one has to do is walk in the first 50... no 25ft and you've seen all there is, and there's no need to go further. Yet... there is more... much more.

Well... that doesn't happen when your with the wife. So... I tried to make the best of it with at least a resemblance of a smile on my face.

So... as I stood in many places I began thinking how much of this place is a contradiction.  The Bronner Family... who by the way are quite faithful Lutherans and are not ashamed to share their faith no matter where they are, public or private. This is a good thing. But... despite their obvious Christianity millions of people flock to their store to stock up 
on the multitudes of Christmas trinkets to the tunes of millions of dollars a year. They are open seven days a week with the exception of Christmas and Easter, and I think they are closed on Thanksgiving as well. At least they are thinking about the families of their workers. That's a bit facetious.

But it's business and big business to say the least and that's not a bad thing, and I truly believe they are fair to their workers and good to the community of Frankenmuth.
But... the problem I have is not with them, but with me. Because of things that happened to me as a kid at this time of year... Christmas is not the best time of year for me. I have gotten better at masking my displeasure and being more open to the good of the season as the years have gone by... but it is still a challenge for me. Much of time, I try and stay away and out of stores especially with my wife. I don't want to kill the season for her because she truly loves this time of the year and loves giving gifts. I think way to much, but who am I... yes... the Grinch :) 

So... I guess that's why I go to places like Bronner's with my wife. I'm trying to see the good and the generosity of people hearts despite mine being corroded and a bit hard. But it's hard... challenging, and many times quite difficult to work through all this stuff. While I'm better at it now than in previous years it's still difficult. I don't understand why people must spend hundred's, and thousands of dollars all in an effort to make people happy. The gifts all ware off after a couple of weeks and your just further in debt.

So... I visit The World's Largest Christmas Store out of a sense of therapy hoping I will come around some day and begin to like the hustle and bustle of the season and the insaneness of spending boat loads of money on gift giving.


See You Out on the Road

  

                                                                        

1 comment:

  1. Ya I am with ya dad. I hate shipping. Hate it. But I sure do love my bird ornaments! I too stood back last night to take it all in. Utter craziness. Your right, the millions of dollars that we have been culturally raised to spend just because its the holiday season. To me, there were too many people in the store. The store is huge but still cluttered and it doesn't take much for me to feel claustrophobic. But no dad, I think your fairly normal. Perhaps not within our society, but hey, neither am I.

    ReplyDelete